Friday, November 30, 2012

C4K Summary for November

November 8th, 2012- I was assigned to comment on Cade K's blog post

Cade wrote a paragraph about a book he read called Hoot The book is about a child that moved from Montana to Florida and doesn't fit in. He is being bullied now that he has moved to a new place. The end of the book is about the child saving owls. Cade enjoyed the book and thought it was pretty good.
Hoot


My comment: Hi Cade, This book seems very interesting and had a very good moral. The details you shared with me left me wanting to read it myself. In my opinion that makes you a very good writer! I will add Hoot to my list of books to read. Keep up the good work! Kayla Walker University of South Alabama EDM 310 Student

Novemeber 15th, 2012- Audrey's blog post was my weekly assignment.
“I Need Help With My History Homework…” “Help out a younger student with an essay about world history, but make up a few things that may not have actually happened.”
I helped my younger brother – who is in eighth grade – to study for his history test tomorrow. The chapter he was studying was Hinduism and Buddhism. He proceeded to recite all that he knew about the chapter while I interjected with questions and occasionally some additional information.
Some of the things that I told him that were not true include: Buddha did not actually found the ideas of Buddhism. I told him that while Buddha was in his palace during his childhood, that his uncle used to tell him his thoughts on human suffering, letting go of human desires, and all of the other ideas that Buddhism is based on. My story told that Buddha just repeated all of those things. I also lied and said that Buddha did not sit under a tree without eating for forty-something days. Arguing that a humans cannot go without food for that long. Instead of telling him that Buddha was a wise man, I said that Buddha was actually an inspiring clothing designer – one of the first of his day. The fib goes that Buddha did have a a strong connection with the ideas of karma and the ideas of the Earth but he represented his thoughts through fashion. Saying Buddha invented the circle scarf (to represent karma) and the idea of using animal print and floral print on clothes – to take patterns found in nature and repeat them was a way to honor nature. Another few tidbits I told that were not true were that Galileo was named after his mother’s favorite fictional character and that the word karma means circle or infinity in Arabic. None of what I said is true.
It is always stressed in my history class to “question the author”. My younger brother trusts me. He believed every word I said to be true because it was his big sister telling him. Do you consider every word that your teacher says to be true? your textbook? It is very easy to twist the truth when your audience does not question you. That is why it is important, especially with history, to consider the authors’ motives. “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” Buddha once said that. Or did he?

My Comment: Hi Audrey, It was such a pleasure to read your blog post. You are such a bright and intelligent person. I never would have thought of this topic, but it is definitely something to consider. I have had many situations where I have heard people tell me facts that sounded incorrect. The truth is everyone doesn’t know everything and we should never assume they are right all the time. What a great lesson and eye opener for your readers. I also think it is wonderful that you help your little brother. I can remember helping my sister with homework, and she has always encouraged me to become an educator. Great job Audrey! Keep up the good work! Kayla Walker University of South Alabama EDM 310 Student

November 18th, 2012- I was assigned to comment on Nelson's Naviagtors Blog post
The State house video was assigned for me to comment on for this week. The video showed how the students used technology to create a video with lots of informative facts. They incorporated many images and music to go along with the video. My favorite touch was the kid's voices in the video.
 

My Comment- Hi, I am a student in EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama. I really enjoyed watching your videos posted above. I can tell that you worked very hard using the technology you were given in the classroom. Even though I watched all four videos, I am commenting on The State House. My favorite thing about this video is that you are reading the facts and information in your on voices. It is a little boring to read the facts, but I like how each of you read a little information in the video. The music and images really made the video very enjoyable. I had no clue the Governor’s mansion has a pool in the shape of Alabama. That is very cool! I enjoyed seeing what you did with technology to create these videos. Keep up the good work! Kayla Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment