Saturday, October 13, 2012

Blog Post # 7


The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler

Wendy Drexler's video is based on the 21st century networked student. The simplicity of the video allowed the viewer to realize how easy it is to "get connected". The 21st century student is enrolled in an American Psychology course online. He attends class three days a week and two online with no textbook or lectures. Sounds like my kind of class! What makes this class different is due to the fact the instructor is teaching on a 21st century level. She is constructing a class using connectivism, which is when learning occurs as part of a social network of many connections or ties. She pushes her students to connect with other students and networks in hopes that they may learn from one another. The networked student may use tools such as blogging or podcasting to reach networks. 
School Limits


Why does the networked student even need a teacher?
Google The Certified Teacher

In my opinion, many teachers are the backbone of their classroom and make all learning environments stable. I think the 21st century teacher would allow his or her students to explore and navigate to their own extent and ability. Also, students need a teacher to help with validating and assessing information. Teachers are important in a student's life and need to be there to give guidance and instruction when needed. Looking back on a former blog post, I noticed how much information students can receive from various sources. Teachers are important to help students and at the same time allow room for learning on their own as well. 

Am I Ready To Be A Networked Teacher?

Honestly, over the past few weeks I have not been sure if I am ready or not. When beginning in EDM 310 I was like most other students believing I was technology savvy. When actually I knew very little about networking or the importance of technology. I noticed in the last mandatory class meeting the Google Doc's assignment, and how we could all work together as a class. I thought that was really neat and is such a great tool for any classroom. Since I have started my own blog I can not wait to have a running blog for my own future class. I never knew so many elementary age students were capable of maintaining their own blogs. What an interesting way to engage students and allow them to network. Now I feel that I am ready to be a networked teacher, and allow my students to grow in the 21st century as well. 

Welcome to My PLE

Welcome to My PLE is a video based on the Personal Learning Environment of a 7th grade student. In many ways our personal learning environment  is very similar. I check the EDM 310 class blog daily as a routine to see what is going on in my class. I also have my blog and many social networks such as facebook and twitter. The fact that every student can have their own PLE is a great tool for learning. The student can choose to network in many different ways and personalize their environment between social networking and educational networking. Lastly, Evernote which is a note taking program would be extremely useful for any student.
PLN
 

1 comment:

  1. "...to help with validating and assessing information. " And to teach students how to do this?

    I really liked the cartoon! Quite apropos.

    Thoughtful. Insightful. Demonstrates that learning can occur. And learning never ends!

    ReplyDelete