Friday, September 14, 2012

Blog Post # 3

Positive Peer Review





Peer EditingAfter watching the video What is Peer Editing. I learned how to effectively peer edit and review. I also learned the three steps which are to give compliments, suggestions, and corrections in this order. The one rule given was to only stay positive which in my opinion is most important. I feel that it is a sensitive subject when you are critiquing someone else's work. I want to come across as a very nice and kind individual when handing out advice to my peers. I want to really help so I can successfully and correctly edit one's work, so that someone will do the same for me. I know that another set of eyes can always catch things you might have missed.

Writing Peer Review Top Ten Mistakes

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this video and seeing all of the different types of personalities exhibited. I have dealt with a few Whatever William's throughout school and they seem to always just blow off the criticism given to them. My research paper for my senior project in high school was edited by a Pushy Paula, and before I knew it my paper had now become her own. I will never forget the rude and judgmental comments she made. I know that when working with a peer that you must treat people the way you want to be treated, which goes back to the Golden Rule that we all learned in Elementary school. I have learned from this video to be respectful of one's work and be kind when giving comments and suggestions towards improving their writing.


All Children Can Learn




Technology in Special Education


Ipads for Special Education Students


Technology is a tool that opens up a new world for anyone, especially someone that struggles with simple daily tasks. I loved the way the teacher in the video allowed the children to try their best to express their feelings. I didn't notice one child that had a negative comment towards their laptops. They all loved working with technology and they showed that at the end of the video. I think it gives them hope when completing assignments and allows them to work more independently. I also thought the teacher did an excellent job making power points and a web site for her students.

I was amazed at the technology being utilized in the classroom setting for special needs students. They are so phenomenal in their own individual ways and they all have different needs that must be met. I seen in the video how technology not only helps one child's needs, but it also helps all of them in some specific way. Each student looked so happy to be able to express themselves through the laptops in the classroom. They were able to communicate and speak in a way that they have never have been able to do without a struggle. I think that the way the ipod helped a child to listen, and a magnification program helped a child to see is more than enough reason to bring technology into every special needs classroom! All children deserve the best learning experience for their educational journey!


Education Apps for Special Needs Students


Apple had many excellent and affordable apps available for educators and parents. I really thought the app See.Touch.Learn was really a great choice. Not only is See.Touch.Learn fabulous for autistic children it is also very handy for any child eager to learn. The ipad is a great way to get any child active with technology and this app puts a twist on boring flash cards. See.Touch.Learn is a picture learning system that allows the child to interact through technology while learning! This app allows picture learning lessons to be created and saved for accessible use, and also allows the child's progress to be tracked. I believe that this app would be a great tool for children, especially since it is for a range of children and educational needs.



Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts


Vicki Davis is a teacher from a rural town in Georgia. Vicki is a teacher that goes beyond the call of duty which all teachers should do for their students. She teaches each student about the technology available to them so they can all learn together. Some teachers say that you should not teach unless you know it all, and that is not true Vicki states that her students teach her things daily. I mean we learn something new everyday why not let your students help you learn as you help them.


As she stated, Why should we just have paper and pen in the classroom ? Well we should not just accommodate the students that learn in one style because each student is different. By bringing in a new style of teaching she meets the needs of each child in some way. Technology is very hands on and a very visual experience. When she teaches her class she allows them to interact in a way where she is not the only one teaching. She allows her students to teach as well and that is very interactive. I enjoyed the video and thought she was an excellent teacher! Hopefully EDM 310 will help future educators to be more like Vicki Davis.

1 comment:

  1. "... that can opens up a new world..." omit can

    "Some teachers say that you should not teach unless you know it all,..." Really? Do you have any such teachers?

    Interesting.

    ReplyDelete