Friday, September 7, 2012

Blog Post # 2

Corning



Did you know? 3.0 - A John Strange Version 2012


I am very saddened by this video and all of the information I was lacking from the United States Education standpoint. I enjoyed John Strange's version in comparison to the Did you Know ? 3.0 Karl Fisch and Scott McLeod version. I knew our education system was lacking in the United States compared to students around the world. I mean let's be honest for a moment, I don't remember ever sitting beside an average Chinese student throughout my school years. The fact that India has more K-12 honor students than the United States K-12 students total is terrifying. What is the educational system in the United States coming to ? Why can't we step it up in some way to help educate our students for the future?


I really had to think about how I will prepare my students for jobs in 2022. The technology they will be using is not even invented yet! That is really hard to imagine that the jobs they will have are not even available yet. This is all due to the fast technology change the world is facing. It is our job as future educators to invest more time in making sure our students are ready. If they can not function using the current technology available today how will they ever advance in the future? I have no clue what jobs will be available for them in 2022, but I do know possibly knowing multiple languages would be a plus to our students. Yes, honor students are required to learn a language but what about students on regular diplomas. I feel that students should all have to work to their maximum potentials there should be no slackers. The students allowed to slack are the ones that will never succeed, because they never had a teacher push them like they should have been. In this being said, I think the best way to prepare future students is to educate them about the newest technology at all times. The world is changing as we know it and technology is changing daily.


Mr. Winkle Wakes


Mr . Winkle is a man who wakes up after his 100 year slumber. He wakes up to a world that has changed so much from the one he knew. He walks down the street to a busy office and notices all of the technology. He seen computers, printers, scanners, and many other machines he had no clue how to use. he started to feel weak so he decided to walk over to the hospital. When he sat down and looked around he noticed the same types of machinery. Mr. Winkle seen people who were given life through machines. He became very discouraged and decided he would leave and go somewhere else. Mr. Winkle walked into the school and for once he felt like he knew what was going on. The school hadn't changed one bit. He noticed math , arithmetic, and reading just like he remembered. The school was so similar to what he learned back many years ago.


I have to say in my opinion the public school system has made little improvement in education. The learning styles have been pretty much the same since I started school. It seemed for me that year after year we learned the same ideas and concepts. The fact that schools are not changing to teach students about the technology advanced world is sad. There are going to be more and more students confused like Mr. Winkle. Technology needs to be brought into the classroom so students can learn and advance.


Sir Ken Robinson: The importance of Creativity


Sir Ken Robinson's video was fabulous I couldn't have agreed more on his topic and ideas. I have never heard of him before but I think he is great! I have always been one to think that we all learn differently. Each and every student has his or her very own personality and way of learning. The old idea that everyone learns the same is ludicrous. I feel that as a future educator I want to find the best method for each of my students. I am a very visual person so for me I can not learn well by listening to a lecture. I need colorful notes and drawings to comprehend the subject matter. I feel that many students are just like me, in such a way that they may not have the proper style of learning in their classroom. We are all unique and different in our own ways and the public school system does try very hard to conform the students to learn and think one way. Students should never feel that asking a question and giving the wrong answer is a bad thing. If you never get the wrong answer or at least try how will you ever find the right answer. Many students are shy in the classroom because they don't feel comfortable about being incorrect. I really liked the quote Sir Ken Robinson said in this video. "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” (Ken Robinson). This quote honestly says it all when it comes to learning these days.

I have always been very involved in music throughout my years in school. I know exactly how the arts and music receive little recognition. The funding for these programs are cut shorter and shorter every year . Creativity is a way for each and every person to be their own unique person. I think that allowing your students to grow in the classroom allows them to find out more about themselves and who they are. The classroom has come down to strictly forcing subject matter in each student's head. There is more to learning than is being offered in my opinion. I want to make learning unique and a fun environment! Each and every student should be free to explore and learn in a way that fits them best.


A Day Made of Glass 2


This video was fascinating to see and wrap my head around. To think that the future will initial this much detail due to technology is really cool. I though the glass tablets in the classrooms were by far something I would love to see happen. The energy-efficient steps that had been taken in the school was great. If money, time, and energy can be saved due to these advancements time could be spent in other areas. I think that the classrooms would allow each child to interact at their own level and engage them in learning. Also, the house and the hospital in the video were just amazing! Every aspect of life will change and we all need to get ready !


I think Mr. Winkle is going to be just like a lot of people who are not ready for these changes. Everything will change and life will be so much easier with such a different world. If educators do not advance in learning about the present technology how will we ever teach our students. In my opinion, we need to recognize the resources we have so that we can stay up to date on new advances.



Learning as an individual student

4 comments:

  1. You blog was well written. All of your headings are bold and you have the appropriate line breaks. Each of your section has two or more paragraph as required. The only thing that I don't see is any links to what you're talking about. But overall great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The fact that India has more K-12 honor students than the United States K-12 students total is terrifying." Terrifying? Are you still in your bomb shelter? You need not be. It is a matter of population size. You could say that the 25% of the population in India with the biggest ears outnumbers ALL of the people in the United States with two ears.

    "...but I do know possibly knowing multiple languages would be a plus to our students." Chinese perhaps?

    Thorough, thoughtful, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kayla! I think this post is extremely well-written and everything is in perfect order. One thing I did disagree with was the part about Dr. Strange's Did You Know video where you said every student should be required to learn a language, not just the honors kids. At my high school, it was a requirement for all students, not just honors. I suppose that is just the difference in education systems from state-to-state. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maegan,

    Thanks for pointing that out to me! I guess I was just thinking of my own personal experience in high school. I'm sure every state is different, and I know requirements change every year .

    Thanks for editing my post :)

    ReplyDelete